Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

2 of 30: "My beautiful soul" by Laura Kasischke

To celebrate National Poetry Month, I'm handpicking my favorite poems. Today I'd like to share excerpts of "My beautiful soul" by Laura Kasischke. Originally published in The Kenyon Review, the poem is from Laura's collection Space, in Chains (Copper Canyon Press, 2011).
The wind has toppled the telescope
over onto the lawn:
So much for stars.
Your brief shot at the universe, gone. 
Laura writes both poetry and fiction, and two of her novels have been made into feature films. "My beautiful soul" ends with the purest paradoxical thought:
Thank you, thank you, bless you, beautiful
lady with your beautiful soul. . .
It is as if I have tossed a postcard
of the ocean into the ocean. 
My stupid dollar, my beautiful soul.
2 of 30. Happy April!